Wednesday, September 07, 2005

I survived Katrina & all I got was this lousy blog post

Howdy folks,
According to the number of hits on my blog no one really misses me. But, in case you did, I didn't die in Katrina. Apparently, I was in Missouri.
If you ever have the opportunity to experience a cat. 4 hurricane I highly reccomend that you do so from at least 4 to 5 hundred miles. I have no phone, no electricity, no gas, & no cable, but the water is on, so as soon as I can find some ice I'll have something to mix with my bourbon.
I have been through a number of huricanes. I lived in Mississippi City during "Camille" and weathered it in Hattiesburg, MS. My most vivid memory was a pecan tree that fell between my grandmother's garage & house without touching either building.
I lived in Gautier, MS during "Fredrick" and weathered it in (once again) Hattiesburg. After "Fredrick" we (in Gautier) were without electricity for three months. I still had to go to school (bummer) but only for half days. The other half of the day every one from 8 to 80 wielded chainsaws, axes, & shovels to dig out the town (that's how I learned to run a front end loader at the tender age of 14). Today, even the sound of a chainsaw makes me nauseous.
for huricane "George" I lived in Hattiesburg, in the same house I own now. My relatives from the gulf coast and my wife's relatives from their trailer-parks road out "George" in my house. "George" didn't bother me very much. Power was only out for seven days. I came close to killing my in-laws. (don't take refuge in my house & then try to tell me how to scramble fucking eggs). The wife & in-laws are now, thankfully, gone. Although "George" had little to do with that.
"Katrina" is the first huricane that I have ever actually watched in it's entirety. My house shook. Things banged. Wires tore loose. I looked out my upstairs window and saw trees, signs, & large pieces of my neighbors' homes blowing by on the wind. All-in-all an unnerving experience. It's over. But, having done this before, I know its not over. There's so much work to do to recover, I'm nearly overwhelmed just thinking about it.
I wish I could go live in a place where there aren't any huricanes. But, there would probably be some other violent form of nature to torment me there. Besides, where else would I go? This is Mississippi. Every time I move away. I come back. This is my home.
An interesting fact about Mississippi, although we have the lowest per-capita income in the nation, we have the highest per-capita charitable giving.

1 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, Blogger Mommy Needs a Xanax said...

Wonderful post, Bert!!! The blogger gods will surely smile on you now!!! :)

I'm so glad I wasn't down there for this one. It was scary HERE, in Yazoo Shitty. My house is surrounded by fallen trees, none of which hit the building even though many came very close.

You make a good point about the people in MS. You didn't hear us bitching about things like those shit wads from NOLA. They did, however, hear me call people "shit wads," I guess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home